Thursday, May 17, 2007

Glitter makes me smile....

...who doesn't like glitter? I have on a borrowed shirt with a glittery design. Every once in awhile, after a brisk movement, a cloud of glitter falls around me. Its unexpected and refreshing. ( thanks to Cynda Ambulance for the sparkly duds!)

Today we have been hanging out in a very cush waiting area. Mom and I both have our laptops fired up in these nifty chairs that have little computer tables attached. There's free coffee and pretty pictures on the walls. If it weren't for all these nurses handing out these barium-filled cocktails to people, i'd feel like i was sitting in an airport.

To my left is a huge aquarium filled with colorful and care-free fish. This whole hospital has aquariums throughout. It's nice and bubbly.

i had a CAT scan earlier today. Its to see if Sarcoma spread to the lungs. I've been told that the lungs are a prefered place for sarcoma to spread to, so that's the place they are starting with to look for mestastisisisis....(i gotta learn how to spell this word; or even pronounce it, for that matter.) They put iodine in my system via an IV, so i didn't have to drink this barrium stuff that i'm seeing a lot of these folks drinking.

A little old lady sitting nearby received her barrium cocktail and told them that she didn't want the straw in hers. She said "I don't like to mess around with this" and drank the whole thing in 2 shots! It was awesome.

I met a nice lady with a delightful accent and pretty pink braids. She is my age and has been battling colon cancer for over a year. I told her about Planet Cancer and the retreat in August...she told me to stay around positive people. We both agreed that GOD has been good to us.

What else? More later....i'm hungry.

oh yeah...a huge thanks to all of you reading this and leaving comments. It warms the cockles!

10 comments:

narnim said...

What the?!?!?! This is a heckuva way to find out about this Ruby! My thoughts are with you and Brad and Tready. I miss you all down there. MD is the place to be I reckon. I will continue to check this blog thing for updates.

Be well, dahlink

noel

Chrissy said...

If you do end up with any barium-cocktails, you should ask for yours with a little umbrella. ; ) Love you!

Anonymous said...

You are an angel! But I already knew that. Sounds like you are having too much fun with this cancer business. I am so glad you can look at it positively. It gets hard to do that when you deal with serious illness. Isn't MD Anderson great? I have taken my students there many times and it is always impressive and humbling at the same time. I know you are keeping everyone there on their toes! Keep the faith...

Kelly

Zay said...

barrium cocktails...*shiver*

thank goodness you get to take yourn's thru the veins...

Anonymous said...

Ruby, I have all the faith in the world in you girl! I still have the pictures of your art car on my office wall and your little sketch book on the shelf. I don't think any of us have ever thanked you enough for all you have done for downtown Nac, and the smiles you bring to our faces. You are one in a million kiddo and I'm so glad to be your friend. Tell your Mom hi for me and we will see you both back in Nac soon. Gerry & Anna

Anonymous said...

Scott sez, if you have to have a Barium cocktail, ask for it shaken, not stirred..

We love you!

Anonymous said...

We love you and are thinking of you all the time in Costa Rica. What a great idea to keep everyone posted. I love your attitude but that picture is frightening. Love your sis.

Anonymous said...

Glad your cockles are warm, wish mine were. I don't think MD will ever be the same after you've graced them with your presence. Remember, calciare cula, bellisima!!!

Anonymous said...

I'm so glad you started this blog...I love that I can let you know you're in my thoughts and prayers and check up on you without bugging the poop out of you. :-]

p.s. "Never trust a man with bluberry pancakes on his face"

Mary T-Allen said...

Ms. Bauer, you are such an inspiration to all of us. You make the hospital sound like a place we'd all want to hang out, with old ladies shooting barium cocktails, drinking coffee and reading the latest issue of Architectural Digest or something. I guess everything is better if you imagine it is whiskey! The MRTs join with everyone here in saying how much we love you!