Sunday, September 16, 2007

Give me some skin.

My knee has stretch marks. This means the swelling has gone down considerably, and however temporary, the marks look pretty strange. It's just a funny place to see stretch marks. I can only see them if i look really close, which i am just now able to do. I'm actually able to clean and dress the area without any help now.

Since my last doctor's visit, i've been able to take off this hot cast and let things air out a bit. This was very awkward at first, but now i really look forward to it. Things are healing up nicely, even though my knee still looks like a Rottweiler gnawed on it for a few minutes. Either i'm getting used to it, or its improved so drastically that it doesn't trigger my gag reflex, but i've been able to closely inspect. It's so weird.

I've observed skin grow before my eyes! At first, the skin transplanted to my knee looked like a net but now the skin has grown so that the spaces are almost filled in. The surgeons used some sort of disolvable net-like material to actually move the skin that was shaved from my thigh; the skin was too thin to handle or move without using another material with it. The net allowed it to be moved, then sewn into place. It really looked similar to some crazy fishnet Roller Derby rink-burn at first, but now its growing into a more solid skin look. Each day it looks different.

Luckily for you, dear readers, i don't have any current pix to share. I'll save that for later.

3 comments:

Mary T-Allen said...

Your fishnet-skin-gro-patch kinda sounds like very advanced sea monkeys. Just add a drainage bag and some dressing and watch it grow into real skin! That said, I think I might rather watch sea monkeys. No offense to your skin...

Chrissy said...

sounds to me like your leg has been replaced with an alien apendage. cool!

Zay said...

too bad the fishnet skin look disappeared...it would have just matched the roller derby floor burns that have imprinted actual fishnet stocking markings into your skin.