Saturday, December 01, 2007

You are here >>>


I went for a 3 month check-up last week...my MRI and chest X-ray turned out clear, and my surgeon said that everything was healing up nicely. It could be up to a year that my leg needs to heal/ not look so Frankenstein-like, but she was pleased with the range of motion i have. I'm able to bend 134 degrees (where is that durn symbol on the keyboard?)- which is about 20 degrees shy my full normal bend.

She even said i could skate soon...well, she actually said "Rollerblade", but i knew what she meant. No Roller Derby, but skating with a support brace would be possible soon.
>sigh<

I went for this trip by myself. I left Nac at 5 am, then returned home, leaving Houston at 5 pm. It was a long day, but it went by quickly. Entering MD Anderson for the first time in several months, I was struck with an odd feeling. I realized how comfortable i felt there.
I know exactly where to park, what elevator to get on and where to go for that free coffee or outlet to plug in my laptop. it wasn't that long ago when the place was new, overwhelming and a bit intimidating.

I realized how much this place has become a part of my life. We've found relief, comfort, treatment & healing here. There have been tears, strength, hope, pain and great lessons in this place. I've spent the majority of 2007 journeying to and from this place, and journeying within. Unlike other routine check-ups to the doctors office, i kind of look forward to visiting. I see this place as a great touchstone; a concrete reminder of how precious and fragile life is.

3 comments:

Chrissy said...

what a beautiful post! i knew there was a reason why i missed you so much.

Anonymous said...

Say Ruby........ missed you today! Thank you for your thoughts on your life and your thoughts. Judy Mayer was really touched by your presentation Monday. We all were but she just kept saying it over and over and over. She doesn't want to delay any longer but do it while there is time!

Zay said...

let us know when you are ready to skate. that's when it'll be time for a skate party. :)