Tuesday, May 22, 2007

Next best thing to being at your own funeral...

When you are diagnosed with something serious, people treat you really nice. If you are lucky, or blessed rather, the people who surround you are friendly to you anyway...but when you are sick with something scary, its different than the usual niceties.

I've received thoughtful cards, emails, well-timed phone calls, visits from friends and from people i didn't know all that well. People have shared the nicest comments with me, either in person or on this space...and i've thought how generous these kind words are.

I've sat in funerals before, listening to people speak of the departed guest of honor, and wondered if the deceased might be hearing those words. I know that its a comfort for the funeral-goers to reminisce about the person they are grieving, but I think about how nice it would be for that person to have heard these things being said about them.

So why do we wait to share heartfelt words with people? I guess it can be uncomfortable, or maybe it takes more time to get to that level of communicating....i don't know.

What i do know is that there is power in kind words; it really lifts your spirits and shows you sensitivity in people. Yes, some might think we're saps to indulge ....but i'm sure going to pass it on, or "pay it forward".

Thank you all who have left comments on my posts. i've wanted to write back to so many but haven't found the time yet...i'm glad you aren't waiting for a funeral to share these thoughts, cuz that's not going to be anytime soon!!!!

9 comments:

Cynda said...

Recently, my Mother announced she had bought a "burial frock" at an estate sale. It's a fabulous sequined and beaded deep purple formal.
My sister & I were appalled at first. Then we understood. How cool of Mom to take care of this detail, and with style!
It will be hard to send it away on her, especially if it fits me!
She's not going anywhere anytime soon, either. She hasn't picked out jewelry.

Chrissy said...

Smack, your entry made me feel sappy and I was going to write some teary reply. Then I read Cyndi's response and now all I can do is laugh!!

Mary T-Allen said...

So speaking of morbid moms, my mom has told me about 11ty billion times "No bra!" when it comes time to bury her. I think the most terrifying thought for her is not dying, but just having to wear something that uncomfortable into eternity.

Kristen Ruby "Lips" Woodard aka Smack Bauer #24 said...

HA! Cynda; perhaps you could ask to borry your moms funeral frock so that you could accesorize for her. It be fun to wear it on a special occasion.

Kristen Ruby "Lips" Woodard aka Smack Bauer #24 said...

Madame...i'm glad you refrained from any further sappiness; not sure this entry could handle it! i had worked myself into quite a sappy state last night after writing about MOMS! YAY to Cynda; humor saved us from our sappiness!

Kristen Ruby "Lips" Woodard aka Smack Bauer #24 said...

NO BRA!! that's awesome! what foresight...i never thought about it...it is really a waste of lingerie,if you think about it.

all kinds of crazy funeral stories come to mind; we'll have to share later.

Anonymous said...

*singing*
Yoooooouuuuu are the Chaaamp-ion
My Friiieee-eeeeeend!!

And cancer is a big fat weenie!!

Found you from Catazon!

And I posted about cancer all week last week. And we're gonna WIN!!!!

Anonymous said...

Ok. I will promise not to be nice to you.

LH the DH said...

Love Power.....

Back at ya sista, couldn't have said it better myself.

XXOO