Tuesday, June 05, 2007

"Follow me for free coffee"

I've been hanging out at the Hospitality Center for the last hour. Its not because the coffee is free, or that i've found a comfy place to set up camp and fire up my computer. I'm enjoying both of those things ,yes, but i'm mostly loving eavesdropping on the Old Gents running things here.

They are all cancer survivors and volunteers here. Bobby put on a red clown nose upon meeting me, and told me that since he's had 2 brain tumors he can be called "certifiably crazy". His vest is covered with pins, my favorite being the one that says "Cancer Sucks". He gave me a bracelet that says "Don't ever give up". He showed me a picture of him in the Navy from 1959 with a full head of hair. After 4 rounds of chemo, this guy still has a ton of hair. He said he's never going to cut it again.

His compadres are just as chipper, offering up coffee, juice and cookies to whoever walks in. Their greatest contributions are their stories and kind words, though. No matter who they talk to, they are passing along smiles. There are people carting in their chemo treatments on rollers, kids waiting on their grandparents or guys like Len, who brought me here. He had just had his 2nd chemo treatment.

Moments before i met him, the thought had just crossed my mind that everyone on the premises are connected in some way or another. They are either here getting treatments, or accompanying someone or working to "Make Cancer History", as MDA's slogan boasts. There is a quiet commaraderie here and I was thinking it as i passed all the people in the hallways. Then i got on the elevator with Len.

He was going to push the button for me, but i didnt know which one. I told him i was looking for coffee and asked where he suggested. He said "How about some free coffee? My friend Bobby is at the Hospitality Center, let's go see him." We went on this funny wild goose chase, getting off the elevator at the wrong place twice, so by the time we got to our destination I already felt like i was on an adventure. Next, i was handed coffee by a guy with a red clown nose.

5 comments:

Zay said...

I love that you are always able to find an adventure in whatever you do.

Chrissy said...

again, this sounds more like a fun vacation than anything. i wish i could be there with you!

Unknown said...

You should find the library over there, and ask the librarians a bunch of crazy questions. I interviewed for a job there last year, and they never told me why they didn't want me. I suspect it had something to do with my blog. ;)

Anonymous said...

What I love about hospital elevators is that they go REALLY FAST! When you are about to go down, jump just before the elevator moves and you get a fraction of a second of what feels like anti-gravity!

joy said...

You just have to love people with red clown noses. They are some of the best. Nothing like spreading the "Joy"