Thursday, July 19, 2007

On speaking of such goopy, bloody, gross things

Man, it felt good to sleep in on Monday! It was the first time in 5 weeks I didn't have to get up and drive downtown...(i don't know how you Houstonites do that everyday!) However, some mornings i found i almost enjoyed it, if i wasn't running late and i could sip my coffee, chillaxin' to 95.7 The Waaaave.....that is, until some uptight, speeding Yahoo would zoom past me, whilst honking and gesturing. I don't drive fast enough for city traffic, i guess. And in that Big Red Truck, i stuck out like a turd in a punchbowl....i'm sure Houston won't miss me either!~

Well, just as i was getting used to being home, i had to get back to MDA for a meeting with a Plastic Surgeon yesterday. The information i learned about surgery yesterday is still sort of sinking in; it's going to be a little unpleasant, sounds like. Words like "skin-flaps", viscious (sp) tissues, drainage, bed-rest, tissue transfers and straight-leg brace were all floating around as i tried to scribble them down in my notes.

There are 2 plastic surgeons who, as it turns out, will be doing the majority of the surgery. My principal surgeon is going to spend up to 4-6 hours removing the tumor and the tissue around it, then the Plastic guys come in. They could spend 8+ hours doing their job!!

They said there will be a large hole in my leg,once the tumor is removed, so their job is to retrieve tissue/veins/skin to fill it in and cover it up. Their non-chalant manner (professionalism?) of speaking of such goopy, bloody, gross things amazed me...i tried not to have this look on my face
as they were describing the procedure, but it was damn hard. (I have that look on my face right now just writing about this.) They'll remove all the "filler" from various spots they couldn't quite say yet, but include the outer thigh, inner-thigh, stomach or back. Also, the calf muscle could be "pulled around" and used to fill in the space. OUCH!
SO: I'll be "under" for this entire time. I wonder what i'll say when i'm not aware of what i'm saying. i'm going to ask them to tell me what i said, when i wake up.
For those of you who feel i don't Blog enough, rest assured that you'll be hearing from me plenty the week following surgery August 16th: i'll be there for "bed rest", "physical therapy" and "draining" of the wounds (!!!) First question i had for them was "Can i use my computer there?" Big relief when they said Yes. I can wile away the hours no prob!
Finally, I got to retrieve my Mimi-Mobile, which is all good and fixed up now. NOW, that drive really felt like coming home.

8 comments:

Chrissy said...

ew! i'm squirming just reading that.

i have some extra junk in my trunk. i've been meaning to get rid of it anyway.

xoxo

narnim said...

You should just tell them to leave the hole Ruby. You could tell the plastique guys that you want to make it into a pouch like a marsupial, so could they please take one of the "flaps" and make it functional - for keys and tic tacs and whatnot.

Noel

Playing in Tulsa, OK next Saturday, the 28th. Should be a blast. Wish it was closer to Nac, though. Soon enough, I guess

Magster said...

Krissy.....don't forget we will be praying you thru all of this! Seriously, you know they have to present you all the worst case scenarios. That's so they will look so impressive when it's shorter (time), smaller, easier, etc. And lest we not forget the miracle of modern medicine......GREAT DRUGS!! love and prayers,
Magster

Anonymous said...

Oooo...I like Noel's idea! I'm always misplacing my keys, cell phone, kleenex, etc...but if I had a handy, convenient place to keep them (instead of the bottomless black hole that is my purse), well, then I'd always be prepared.

I love you!

Anonymous said...

Forgot to mention how much I love that picture. That's the exact same expression I have on my face every time I watch Man vs. Wild.

Martha said...

How soon after surgery can we visit you in the hospital?

Kristen Ruby "Lips" Woodard aka Smack Bauer #24 said...

Noel, you have something there with the Flap-Marsupial pocket! I think that's a great idear; i'm always putting my cell phone somewhere and forgetting it....

Amanda said...

Just found your blog via Catazon, so thought I'd say hello. Also, my little brother is a cop in Nac. I told him to look out for derby girls on the loose up there.

P.S. I enjoyed your whistlin at the bout last month. Tres bien.