Wednesday, January 16, 2008

Full Circle

Imagine this:
A rapid river, with powerful currents roaring. There is someone in the water, grasping tightly to a branch to keep from being swept away with the current. That's me, hanging onto "Mid-Thirties".

I just turned 37, and all i feel like is, "well, at least its still closer to 35 than 40". That's really it. Big deal. I am just glad to be here. Who cares how old you are?

Since my birthday fell on a Saturday, I had an entire birthday weekend! It was awesome.

Friday night, another Capricorn friend and i declared our birthdays Time to Skate! It was the quasi-official kick-off for the Officially Unofficial Skate Club, and boy-howdy, did the old Roller Girls come out of the woodwork! We ascended on the Open Skate kids at the Skatarama and had a great time. Even with falling kids as obstacles everywhere, I could tell that so many gals were just happy to be on skates again.

I, for one, was elated! It was the first time i had skated since the Sarcoma Summer and it felt pretty good. The previous night, i had actually dreamed about skating really fast, round and round. I don't know if i'll be able to skate as fast as i used to, but my knee felt pretty solid...i could go fast enough.

Each time around the rink, i had the feeling that i'd come full circle....i'd skate another lap, full circle. No more Physical Therapy, another lap...full circle. I skated past friends who I used to see weekly at this rink...full circle. We're all laughing and skating again...another lap, full circle. Another lap, another year, full circle.

To top off the night, the sweaty lot of us went to sing Kareoke! There was singing, laughing, smiling, dancing! It was the best way to wrap up a memorable night...perfect.

Saturday, I went on Nacogdoches Art League's first excursion of the year to a show in Center. Ellen Cogswell, our last charter member had an impressive exhibit showing over 40 years of paintings. It was nice to spend the afternoon getting to know some of the new members.

That night B took me and the lil'un out for a nice dinner. I had the 2 most handsome dates in town. T's manners were very impressive; a nice b-day present for mama. We wrapped up the evening watching a Pirate movie and eating dessert. I am a very happy 37 year old.

3 comments:

Chrissy said...

happy birthday! friday night was the most fun i've had in a while, and made me extra glad to know you and be a part of your life.

congrats on getting older and wiser and prettier every day!

Unknown said...

That sounds like a wonderful birthday weekend for an old woman (and I can say that because this year I will be getting closer to 40 than 35). Especially the skating...Congrats!

KB said...

Happy Birthday to you! Could you feel me skating and singing (or whistling) with you in spirit?