Tuesday, June 26, 2007

"Somewhere Under the Rainbow"


Yesterday i started my day in a funk, until i drove under that rainbow. My day went steadily uphill from there. It wasn't that the rainbow changed my mood , rather it gave me a kick in the rear to snap out of it. As the events of the day unfolded, i was reminded that i have so much to be thankful for and i was wasting valuable time dwelling on some negativity.

I like to think that i'm an optimist most of the time, even though i have my days. I used to have thicker skin and not really be affected by others' moods or attitudes, or at least i didn't realize it if iwas. This is not the case now. Maybe i am just more "in tune" with what i like/dislike (young folks might call this "set in your ways"). Negativity is like a nasty ole' slobbery wad of gum that's been festering on the asphalt. If you step in it, it grabs ahold and is hard to get rid of. It sticks to whatever it touches, smearing its sticky goop and dirt all over and making it difficult to clean off.

I'm sure i overanalyze--and no one needs to tell me that i can be emotional/ dramatic, ok? (said in an emotionally dramatic tone)...but here's how it goes: If I'm in a fine mood and i step in some gum~it's gonna piss me off!! (C'mon, readers, surely you know what i mean!?)

HOWEVER, that's just how it goes and i realize it. When i encounter negativity, i.e step in some gum, i might get irritated...some profanity might even slip out, but that doesn't change the situation, or even help it really. The gum is still there. It may take me awhile to scrape it off; I might even bitch about it a little, but i'm going to scrape it off. I don't like to be in a bad mood...(and anyone who knows me knows i likes my shoes).

My faith is the best, top-of-the-line gum scraper available. I got my shoes/mood back to new, spiffy as ever.--in fact, even better! God's lookin' out for me: there are angels all over this place. Two were put in my path yesterday.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

There are a lot of rainbows in Costa Rica. I remember seeing them over the last couple years as we were trying to get pregnant and finding strength and happiness and a promise of something more.. whatever that may be.

Anonymous said...

I'm assuming the comment above is from your sister. I remember once she was trying to sing "Over the Rainbow" but only knew "Somewhere over the rainbow, why can't I?" and kept singing that over and over and over and...
KL