Tuesday, October 23, 2007

Great show about Death! C'mon & check it out!

Yesterday Oprah had a really great show. The topic was death. It seemed depressing at first, but then it started talking to me. A large portion of the show was about cancer survivors and people living with cancer, life after cancer and people terminally diagnosed.

One of the guests, Kris Carr, made a film called Crazy Sexy Cancer. She was inspiring and captured my attention quickly, but the biggie on the show was the next guest. My mood hasn't been the same since.

I pulled the following off Oprah's website for lack of being about to describe it myself. Check out the link when you have a few minutes.

Randy Pausch is a married father of three, a very popular professor at Carnegie Mellon University—and he is dying. He is suffering from pancreatic cancer, which he says has returned after surgery, chemotherapy and radiation. Doctors say he has only a few months to live.

In September 2007, Randy gave a final lecture to his students at Carnegie Mellon that has since been downloaded more than a million times on the Internet. "There's an academic tradition called the 'Last Lecture.' Hypothetically, if you knew you were going to die and you had one last lecture, what would you say to your students?" Randy says. "Well, for me, there's an elephant in the room. And the elephant in the room, for me, it wasn't hypothetical."

Watch Randy's famous "Last Lecture." (this is the actual lecture to his students: 1HR)

This is the shorter version on Oprah (scroll down for the link) 5 minutes

(If you don't have time to watch now, please come back; its not hokey--i promise!)

Despite the lecture's wide popularity, Randy says he really only intended his words for his three small children. "I think it's great that so many people have benefited from this lecture, but the truth of the matter is that I didn't really even give it to the 400 people at Carnegie Mellon who came. I only wrote this lecture for three people, and when they're older, they'll watch it," he says. "

This was a tearjerker, lemme warn you...but very poignant and inspiring.


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

OMG - saw the Oprah girl! Absolutely unbelieveable wasn't it? I have also seen a lot of documentary Crazy Sexy Cancer.

But Randy's lecture was just amazing, humbling and quite inspiring. His outlook on life is remarkable to say the least. God bless him - I know his family is proud. We should all be so humble. Take care you - NC Amy :)

Anonymous said...

I saw that episode. I was hoping you were watching it. It made me think you should get busy on YOUR book.